Canada allows people to come in country for many different purposes, one of them is visiting Canada for visit or to see your family and come for business purposes. There are some visa exempt countries but others do need authorization for coming and staying in Canada for specific period of time. The Visa is called Temporary Resident Visa.


A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) / Visitors Visa is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker). You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.

You must also:

  • satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay,
  • show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home,
  • not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,
  • be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
  • not be a risk to the security of Canada,
  • provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility, and
  • be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).

You usually do not need a medical exam. You can apply for TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) in 2 ways:

  1. Online Application: For online application the application is submitted through CIC website by uploading all the required documents and the application forms. The payment needs to be credited for your application.
  2. Paper Application: For Paper application you need to arrange all the documents according to the check list of the CIC.


If you want to visit your children and grandchildren you may want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months which a visitor visa doesn’t allow. In this situation you can apply for the Super Visa which is a visitor visa but allows to stay for 24 months in one go. Supervisa is valid for 10 years. In order to obtain a super visa, you will need to apply at a visa office and provide:

  • A letter of invitation from your child or grandchild residing in Canada. You must also include your host child or host grandchild’s family composition (dependants, including spouse, children or other relatives that are financially dependent on your host child or host grandchild).
  • One of the following documents to prove that your child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)minimum:
  • Most recent copy of the Notice of Assessment. If you do not have a paper copy of your Notice of Assessment on file, you can view (and print) your tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service.
  • Most recent copy of the T4 or T1
  • Original letter from employer stating title, job description and salary
  • Employment insurance pay stubs
  • If self-employed, a letter from an accountant confirming annual income
  • Proof of other sources of income (pension statement, investments, etc.)
  • Evidence of the parent or grandparent relationship to the Canadian citizen or permanent resident you wish to visit (e.g. birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official documents naming you as parent or grandparent)
  • Proof that you have private medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year from a Canadian insurance company and that:
  • Covers health care, hospitalization and repatriation,
  • Provides a minimum coverage of $100 000, and
  • Is valid for each entry to Canada and be available for review by a port of entry officer.
canada visitor visa application, canada visitor visa, canada visitor visa checklist from india, canada visitor visa process, canada visitor visa documents


Business Visitors to Canada do not require a Work Permit. A Business Visitor is a foreign national who comes to Canada to participate in international business activities, but will not enter the Canadian labour market. Although a work permit is not required, Business Visitors from countries requiring a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) to enter Canada must receive a TRV before travelling to Canada.

Business Visitors must demonstrate the following:

  • They must intend to stay in Canada for a short period, typically less than six months.
  • They must not intend to enter the Canadian labour market in any way.
  • Their main place of business and source of income must be located outside of Canada.
  • Any profits from their business must be made outside of Canada.
  • They must meet standard Canadian entry requirements.

There are a number of reasons why an individual may come to Canada as a Business Visitor. Some common examples are:-

  • Attending business meetings, conferences, conventions, fairs, etc;
  • Buying Canadian goods or services on behalf of a foreign entity.
  • Taking orders for goods or services.
  • Providing after-sales service, excluding hands-on work in the construction trades.
  • Being trained by a Canadian parent company for work outside of Canada.
  • Training employees of a Canadian subsidiary of a foreign company;
  • Individuals who plan to enter the Canadian labour market may require a Temporary Work Permit.